April 29, 2006
SPONSOR: The Alumni
and Friends of the Brothers' School
BROTHERS OF THE SACRED HEART
"The Brother's Boys: A
Legacy of Educating Young Men "
for strict discipline and demand for diligent work, the Brothers of
the Sacred Heart took charge pf education of Vicksburg Catholic young
men when they arrived at St. Aloysius Academy on the corner of First
North and Grove streets in 1879.
school enrollment tripled in the first year from 50 to 150 and
included former St. Francis Xavier male students in grades 5-12.
The large brick building housed classrooms on the bottom two floors
and the Brothers quarters on the top floor.
1882, the school was incorporated under the name St. Aloysius
Commercial College. The school moved in 1948 to Clay Street and
the original building was demolished to build a new city school.
1968, the Brothers left Vicksburg and St. Aloysius and St. Francis
were combined into one school system. A fire destroyed the Clay
Street school in 1977 and the present building was constructed in
1979. The building in this mural is the first school building on
to Home Back
to Murals Page