October 6, 2006
of Carr Central High School
CENTRAL SCHOOL ON CHERRY STREET
"Making an impact on a community and its citizens"
School was designed in the Tudor Gothic style by William Stanton, a
well-known architect, who had designed many religious, public, commercial,
and residential buildings across Mississippi.
school was built in 1924 by the E. G. Parish Construction Company of
Jackson, Tennessee, at a cost of $220,000. It was named in honor
of John P. Carr who served as superintendent of the Vicksburg Public Schools
for eighteen years prior to completion of the school and who would
continue to serve for seven more years.
it opened its doors, Carr School accommodated kindergarten,
elementary, and junior high students. It also house the administrative
offices for the superintendent and his staff. In 1932, the building
became a high school and remained such until 1959 when it reverted to
a junior high school with the completion of H. H. V. Cooper High
closed in 1979 when the classes were shifted throughout the
its service, the school was instrumental in developing students who
achieved distinguished careers in all major disciplines: medicine,
law, engineering, business, education, religion, athletics and the
mural was made possible by Carr Central High School alumni who wish to
recognize the contribution that the school made to Vicksburg and the
positive impact that it had on their lives.
to Home Back
to Murals Page