May 7, 2009
Pete and Bessie Nosser Family
Breaking Ground in the Grocery Business
to the opening of the Jitney Jungle on the corner of South and Monroe
streets in 1933, grocery stores generally sold only groceries and were
"full service" establishments with clerks to gather the
items on a person's list.
modern innovations offered at this store by owners Pete, Sr. and
Bessie Nosser made it the first grocery store with the one-stop
shopping approach. The Jitney was self-service, served hot meals
at it lunch counter, and added a pharmacy, cafeteria, cleaners, and
in 1920 and worked as a stock boy in Joe Boolos' Openwood Street
store. He planned and saved for thirteen years before opening
his own store, the first of four Jitney Jungles established by the
flagship store, known as the "Big Jitney," benefited from
its gregarious owner, Mr. Pete, who knew, greeted, and catered to
and his family also participated in community affairs, including as a
member of the board of
and as a director of First National Bank for 47 years.
"Big Jitney" burned in 1965 and was rebuilt in 1966 at
Glass Kitchen, owned by Fred Nosser, was a fixture in downtown from
1946 to 1986.
to Home Back
to Murals Page