February 4, 2008
and Friends of Methodist Churches in Warren County
FOUNDING OF VICKSBURG AND METHODISM:
The Legacy of Tobias Gibson and Newitt Vick
played a formative role in the founding of
1799, Rev. Tobias Gibson, a circuit rider in the
County. In 1814, Rev. Newitt
Vick, a Virginia-born preacher, and Foster Cook erected a log cabin
for worship near Vick’s plantation, “Open Woods.”
was the first local Methodist preacher here and, before his death in
1819 from Yellow Fever, he purchased 612 acres which he laid into town
Rev. John Lane, married to Vick’s daughter Sarah, became executor of his estate
and continued development of the town, naming it after Vick.
He also held church services in his blacksmith shop and home
until 1822 when a wooden church was built at Cherry and Grove streets.
1837, Catherine and John Wesley Vick deeded a lot at Crawford and
Cherry and the first of three buildings that would house
was built. The old church
was given to slaves who had worshipped with their owners.
Renamed Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal, it remained here
until a new church was built on First East Street in 1855.
the town grew, so did the number of Methodist congregations, which
today number eleven.
to Home Back
to Murals Page